Burkina Faso and Airbus in talks about an A220-order

According to a government spokesman, they are in discussions with Airbus about a possible order for three A220-300s for Air Burkina. The new planes are planned to arrive in 2022 and will be used to replace the airline's current fleet of ERJs.

Air Burkina now has a fleet of five aircraft consisting of two ERJ170s, one ERJ175 and two ERJ195. However, it seems only the ERJ175 as well as one of the ERJ195s is active at this moment.

The fleet renewal plan is part of the privatization of the airline, which started in October 2020 when US-European investment company American Global Development Group acquired 80% of the airline's shares as of 1 January 2021. The government will retain the remaining 20% in the airline.

Photo by Air Burkina.

Subscribe to Scramble

As a member you get access to all our
premium content and benefits learn more


Follow us and keep in touch