Mumbai! Now including info on photospots

ImageDedicated forum to share your own recent photos with the rest of the community.
Please note large files may exist here before you start browsing!

Forum rules
ImageThis is the forum to share your recent aviation photos with the rest of the community, being photos not older than six months at the moment of topic opening. Theme-based topics, not about recent events, should go into the sub-forum.
Although we will not screen beforehand, we reserve the right to delete any images, especially if clearly unsharp or otherwise low in quality. For more information on how to upload you images, check this post.
In topic titles, please use airfield names in stead of just codes, and be clear about what kind of photos your viewers can expect (e.g. CIV/MIL, location etc.).

Finally, bring any photo criticism understandable and to the point, not cynical or offensive! Simultaneously, do not feel offended by criticism per se, but simply explain your motives, taste et cetera, or ignore if you wish so.
Sjaak
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Subscriber Scramble: Sjaak

Mumbai! Now including info on photospots

Post by Sjaak »

These pics were taken during a recent Mumbai tour, a full report on the excellent spotting possibilities here should appear in Scramble shortly. Also, further pics can be seen on http://www.aviationphotos.net/
Enjoy...!

Last edited by Sjaak on 28 Nov 2008, 13:49, edited 4 times in total.
a1rliners_2005
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Subscriber Scramble: a1rliners_2005

Post by a1rliners_2005 »

Nice series Sjaak! 8)

Personally I think the pictures are a bit over sharpened. But I remember that Iwan Bögels started a topic about sharpening some time ago on this forum and that the result of this topic was: personal opinions differed a lot from each other.
cheers,
Etienne Jong
JK
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Mumbai

Post by JK »

He Sjaak,

Great pics from a fantastic place !

Grrr johan :)
Sjaak
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by Sjaak »

//Persoonlijk vind ik je foto's wel iets overscherpt.\\

You're probably referring to the last two Air India busses. I have to admit that Photobucket also does not do good to your pics when shrinking them to 1024x768 format. This can be seen clearly looking at the cheatlines.
Here another two examples which are clean and not sharpened or "Photoshopped"
Image[/img]
Barcajax
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Subscriber Scramble: Ronald

Post by Barcajax »

Fantastic pics,really like theme!

Keep them coming.

Grtz,Ronald
http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=25116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin
Type of spotter: F2
Subscriber Scramble: U bet

Post by Key »

BH-1011
:)):
Engines Turning Or People Swimming
SilverWingPix
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Post by SilverWingPix »

Very interesting pictures.

Could you possibly tell a little more about the situation there? I communicated with some of the locals last year around christmas and they advised not to come to Mumbai due to problems with the Police and in particular the spot overlooking the line up.

My wife is Sri Lankan and we spend our holiday in Colombo every year. Mumbai would be a great week-end out while on vacation and its such a short flight from CMB. Any info is welcome :wink:

Egon/CPH
Best Regards,
Egon aka SilverWingPix
Eddie
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by Eddie »

Nice pictures! Although Mumbai isnt the best place to be right now... (watch CNN)
HV7572KC
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Subscriber Scramble: HV7572KC

Post by HV7572KC »

SilverWingPix wrote:Very interesting pictures.

Could you possibly tell a little more about the situation there? I communicated with some of the locals last year around christmas and they advised not to come to Mumbai due to problems with the Police and in particular the spot overlooking the line up.

My wife is Sri Lankan and we spend our holiday in Colombo every year. Mumbai would be a great week-end out while on vacation and its such a short flight from CMB. Any info is welcome :wink:

Egon/CPH
The Orchid something hotel is overlooking RWY 32-14. This runway is one day in the week the MAIN RUNWAY for all traffic because 27-09 is out for maintenance then. I guess Tuesdays or Fridays, you have to ask a local for it then. I guess here also RWY 14 line-ups?

RWY 27 is for the line-ups, I've been there 6 weeks ago but chasen away 2 times within 10 minutes.

But also photographing in terminal after deboarding Iran AIr B747SP resulted in deleted pictures for me :( Really be careful they sometimes even demolish your camera!! But for traffic the airport is really good!
Sjaak
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by Sjaak »

SilverWingPix wrote:Very interesting pictures.

Could you possibly tell a little more about the situation there?
Egon/CPH
Thanks all for your compliments! :D

A full report on this trip with hints and tips will appear in Scramble mag. Photography of civilian airliners should officially be allowed in India but this is not widely known, therefore it's wise to stay low profile and out of sight of the military guarding the entire airport boundary airside. Mornings till about 11.30u are best at line-up 27 (runway in use about 90% of the time even with tailwind landings!!), downside is that you have to go into Jharimari slums and sort of hide behind latrines which are in use frequently by the locals, this way you can not be seen by military guards.
Locals will not bother you, no begging and no complaining. Just be sure to turn away and better even get out of the way whenever a woman goes to latrine to do her thing! Men won't bother....
Second spot is nearby but this is the famous "mount shitty". You'll have to have a strong stomach when standing here, I found the smell and flies unbearable in 32c sun!
Around midday the sun will turn in front of you, then it's wise to take a walk to another part of Jharimari slump alongside the 27 treshold (see AI Express B737 pic) and look for a friendly family with elevated balcony on their hut, pay some Rupees and takepics over the 3meter high wall with barbed wire (see Indian A319 pic).
We received info from an Indian pilot on the usage of 14 rwy, will appear in the report as well. 14 is perfect from the Orchid Hotel roof terrace both for landings and for line ups. Unless wind is really strong around 140degrees this rwy is only in use when 27 is out for maintenance schedule, normally fridays and sundays 12.00-14.00. We were lucky to have 14 all day from 12.00h on monday due to wind directions. 27 and 14 are ILS equipped, opposite dir. VOR/DME only wherby 09 will never be used. Photograpy from Hotel rooftop terrace is no problem at all and, very convenient indeed with pool, toilets showers and bar nearby :lol:

I've included some pics to give you an impression on the possibilities, this together with the report in Scramble should give a fine overview..
Also check some of our short movies on youtube under "Plane spotting Bombay". Finally more pics can be seen on www.avationphotos.net

First one shows how pics can be taken hidden behind the latrines for line up 27 in the morning..

me taking pics over the smelly latrines :oops:
[/img]Image

Once you move 3 meters to the right you have a clear view but now your in sight of the guards in the little grey shed (we only noticed military guards during weekdays by the way, no one there in the weekend!

The other spot is for 27 line-up is Mount Shitty, hide behind the concrete wall also next to a couple of loo's but beware, the smell is awful here!

Nice view on the famous mount. It´s dirt all around you here!!

Nice view from the balcony of a kind family´s hut alongside treshold 27, good for both landings and take offs. Pay some money, take off your shoes and be kind to all annoying kids surrouding you for their picture taken! Be sure to stay low profile with the camera as you might be seen by the guards in the red-white shed airside! Mount shitty can be seen in the background on the right

Image[/img]

View from the rooftop terrace of the excellent Orchid Hotel, it´s 5 star and expensive, but the only possibility to take landing shots at 14 and therefore certainly worth the Euros!!!
Behind the slum down below there´s the treshold and turning point for 14 runway

Image[/img]

View from the terrace towards domestic terminal, behind you´ll see Air India hangars and bizjet parking area, also IAF birds are parked there. On the left behind 14 runway is the International terminal

Luckily the Indians are aware of safe transportation of hazardous goods like your gas tanks :?

[/img]Image

Finally, how to get to the 27 lineup in the morning from the Hotel. Ask the taxidriver to take you to Jahrimari Road, takes about 20 mins. depending in traffic. Looking at the photobags he knows exactly where to drop you off. Once there try to let the guy wait to take you back to the hotel later. Will cost you virtually nothing extra and saves you from searching for a tuk/tuk as regular taxis are hardly seen in the slums. Tuk/tuk drivers don´t always know where the hotel is although it´s simply on the other side of the airport!

Both Ton Jochems and me will be at the DSC in Nieuwegein this saturday so feel free to ask anything you like and watch for the article in Scramble mag.

regards,
Sjaak Louwen
Last edited by Sjaak on 28 Nov 2008, 13:51, edited 2 times in total.
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Key »

Sjaak, thanks for the very extensive info. Although your and my idea of 'paradise' clearly differ a lot, many people will likely benefit from this. That is, if the current dramatic developments can be reversed... :(

Erik
ricardo smit
Scramble Rookie
Scramble Rookie

Post by ricardo smit »

misschien een idee om dit topic tijdelijk even te sluiten uit respect voor de slachtoffers van de terreur aanslagen van gisteren in deze stad.
Sjaak
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by Sjaak »

[quote="Key"]Sjaak, thanks for the very extensive info. Although your and my idea of 'paradise' clearly differ a lot, many people will likely benefit from this. That is, if the current dramatic developments can be reversed... :(

Perhaps needless to say I had no intent to include any political, terrorist or whatever issues/circumstances when speaking of a "spotters paradise" nor was I aware of the current attacks when writing the article. It's purely meant to inform on the possibilities for plane spotters....until yesterday that is apparently!....... for the time being at least....
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Key »

That's clear Sjaak, and not what I meant... I meant the slums, the garbage dump and the latrines. :?

@ ricardo: no, why? There is nothing disrespectful about this topic, and nobody will benefit from the closure of this topic.

Erik
Boudewijn van Oirschot
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: Wat niet?
Subscriber Scramble: Boudewijn van Oirschot

Post by Boudewijn van Oirschot »

Every time it is enjoying when I see a spotting report from Mumbai.. I need to go there before it may be too late :P
Very cool pictures by the way.. 8)

Return to “Aviation Photo Forum”