Wittmund photo opportunities disappearing (24 July 2008)

ImageDedicated forum to share your own recent photos with the rest of the community.
Please note large files may exist here before you start browsing!

Forum rules
ImageThis is the forum to share your recent aviation photos with the rest of the community, being photos not older than six months at the moment of topic opening. Theme-based topics, not about recent events, should go into the sub-forum.
Although we will not screen beforehand, we reserve the right to delete any images, especially if clearly unsharp or otherwise low in quality. For more information on how to upload you images, check this post.
In topic titles, please use airfield names in stead of just codes, and be clear about what kind of photos your viewers can expect (e.g. CIV/MIL, location etc.).

Finally, bring any photo criticism understandable and to the point, not cynical or offensive! Simultaneously, do not feel offended by criticism per se, but simply explain your motives, taste et cetera, or ignore if you wish so.
Iwan Bogels
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Subscriber Scramble: Iwan Bogels

Wittmund photo opportunities disappearing (24 July 2008)

Post by Iwan Bogels »

Hi everybody,

Last Thursday, 24 July, I visited Wittmund. It was my very first visit ever to this base, and it was triggered by the news that the fence was being repositioned. According to the stories from other photographers many good photo opportunities are bound to disappear when the new fence is in place, and it's only a matter of days before construcion works are completed.

As I like to shoot as wide a variety as possible, I visited various locations along the fence. For lift-off and dragchute shots I chose position opposite the mid runway intersection (right P in photo). Line-up shots were taken from in between the two main runway entrances (where the light blue line meets the fence), while landing shots were made from where the "Am Flugplatz" road meets the fence (second P from the left).

Knowing that the Germans don't like to waste time, I decided to get to Wittmund early. At 08.06 hrs JG71 had launched seven Phantoms, so my arrival at 07.45 hrs was just in time to catch all. At 11.30 hrs a second wave of about eight aircraft were launched, while around 14.30 hrs another nine F-4's took to the skies. Flight system sent out a single Skyhawk in the first and second wave, while in the third wave a grey and white pair took off. The only visiting aircraft observed was a CH-53G.

Wittmund's runway is 08-26, so it's almost exactly east-west. This means that you should be able to find a decent angle for photography almost all day long. The distance from the old fence to the centerline of the runway is roughly 120 meters, which is considered to be very close compared to many other airbases in western europe. Between 200 - 300 mm should be enough for a straight-from-the-side shot with an old fashioned slide film camera, while most current digital cameras would require only 135 - 200 mm for a similar result.

Below you can find a selection of my photographic results. I hope you like them.

Best regards,
Iwan Bögels

Take off around 11.30 hrs is perfect for this afterburner shot.

Taxi out from the shelterarea, near the middle of the airbase.

Landing at 09.00 hrs. Light is great, especially over the reflecting light grey concrete runway

Arriving for lunch. You just neet to hold your shot for the perfect background.

The first take off of the day. This colorful Phantom flew in every wave that day.

08.00 hrs departure, flying almost straight into the sun.

At lest three different white Skyhawks were observed, plus this single grey A-4.

Early morning vortex over the wing. This shot was taken nearly straight into the sun.

Close to 16.00 hrs, the sun is coming very much from behind the aircraft

Redskin301
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: Graphical
Subscriber Scramble: nee

Post by Redskin301 »

Wow a very cool set of pictures Iwan, i think i will give it a try next tuesday at this field now i have heard your news about the fence. Question from my side, do you need a step ladder at this field and what is the amount of police force to sent you away :?:

Anyway, it seems that you had a very various day at Wittmund 8)

PS: I see a small dust spott in the right upper corner of some shots :wink:
Regards Alex van Noye,

http://www.runway28.nl
Iwan Bogels
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Post by Iwan Bogels »

Thanks for your kind words Alex !

Yes, my sensor definately needs cleaning. This is something I forgot to do last week, although I did notice the dust many weeks ago.

Regarding ladders and fence: At the old fence, you can shoot without a ladder if you don't mind to shoot from between the mace and the first barbed wire. But with a two-step ladder you can clear the old fence easily. The new fence is standard NATO height (2,5 meters) and thus requires a larger stepladder. I had a general 5-step ladder with me, and was able to clear the fence at all hights.

Fortunately we weren't bothered by military police or Polizei. But we were warned by other spotters to stay away from the fence when not photographing actively. In all instances my car was parked about 30 meters away from the fence.

Have fun next Tuesday, and let us know about the current situation with the fence (I do need info on the eastern part of the airbase).

Cheers,
Iwan
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin
Type of spotter: F2
Subscriber Scramble: U bet

Post by Key »

@ Iwan: :cheers: !
@ all: Let's put the spotting info in the Spotting topic as much as possible. TIA,

Erik
Engines Turning Or People Swimming
ZeroOtto
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Subscriber Scramble: ZeroOtto

Post by ZeroOtto »

Wonderfull!! very nice!!
Jeroen K
Scramble Rookie
Scramble Rookie

Post by Jeroen K »

We went also last Thursday to Wittmunt and also saw a Marine Lynx in a fly by over the runway.

Jeroen
Stefan
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Subscriber Scramble: Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Hi,

Like 'm too! Thanks for the detailed information!

PS It is amazing that the base has been there for decades, flying F-4s, without being given the attention it is receiving now... And just as it is on everybody's wish list it is limiting its opportunities...

Greetings,
Stefan
Iwan Bogels
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Post by Iwan Bogels »

Stefan wrote:PS It is amazing that the base has been there for decades, flying F-4s, without being given the attention it is receiving now...
Hi Stefan,

You're absolutely right ! And your remark makes me wonder which other airbases air waiting to be "discovered". Any suggestions ??

Cheers,
Iwan
wvanbel
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Type of spotter: F4, mostly military stuff...
Subscriber Scramble: Yes

Post by wvanbel »

Lovely shots, Iwan!!

I am planning to there as well next week :D

Thanks for the very usefull and detailed info!

Best regards,

Walter
Best regards/vriendelijke groeten,
Walter

http://www.waltervanbelphotography.be/
Andras
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: Photo only

Post by Andras »

Very good and sharp shots.. Sharp is the KEY here.. Very nice! Q: Where are the A-4's from?

Greetz,
Groet,

Andras Brandligt
My images at AirTeamImages.com
Flanker27
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Type of spotter: mainly mil or it has to be Russian

Post by Flanker27 »

Andras wrote:Very good and sharp shots.. Sharp is the KEY here.. Very nice! Q: Where are the A-4's from?

Greetz,
The A-4s are from BAE Systems, Flight Systems with a civil US registration. They replaced the older F-100 Super Sabres some years ago and are used for DACT and target towing. Included are a grey one and an Israeli camo one, some pics on my website.

@Iwan, crispy pics, hop to see some next wednessday.
Michel
EOS200D, 18-135 IS, sigma 50-500
henkderidder
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Post by henkderidder »

Hi Iwan,
Lots of thanks for the info about the fence and the beautiful shots: Great!!!! :D :D :D I've visited Wittmund several tmes the last 2 years and never had any trouble with the Polizei.
NB another base to discover: Reims: great photo opertunities and no trouble with the Gerdarmerie
68-0037UH
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior
Subscriber Scramble: 68-0037UH

Post by 68-0037UH »

He Iwan, I took the liberty of taking your Wittmund overview and do some extra's on the west side. Although the old fence is still in place, they cut down the bushes close to the old fence. The black dots are were I guess the new fence will be, I saw some marks in the field suggesting its future position. I also put in another road were you can park your car at the end without being seen by security

The cutting down of the small bushes on the west side (still visible on this satelite image) creates some good photo opportunities from the "geluidswal',as this example shows (early July)

D5 + Nikkors 14/2.8 up to 400/2.8
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin
Subscriber Scramble: U bet

Post by Key »

As said, spotting info here please. Appreciate the submissions, the above stays here because of the photo ;-)

Return to “Aviation Photo Forum”