Photos: more of the same?

ImageImageDedicated forum for all your questions, remarks etc about (aviation) photography, digital as well as old fashioned film.

Forum rules
ImageImage
Rico
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior

Photos: more of the same?

Post by Rico »

Hello,
I would like to start a discussion and want to know if I may start a topic with the following text:

Don't get me wrong and start complaining directly, I love all the effort taken by all of you to place pictures here and show us all your hard work in this splendid hobby. Unfortunatly I only make videos at the time so not to be posted in this thread.

Following comment is for the realy big topics like RIAT and LEEUWARDEN:

Why do so many people post several pictures of the same aircraft on the same moment and afterwards all other posts show this same aircraft on that same moment and so on ...
I would like to see a bit more creativity in a topic. When anyone shows a pic than try to show a totaly different one or if possible from another angle. I think this will make watching phototopics more fun and will give others more creativity before posting the same stuff we have seen 3 pages long.

Again no comment to the pictures it self, I just wanted to say this for some time.
I am curious if I am the only one who has this opinion.

Maybe the admins or someone can make restrictions on this part?

greetz Rico

PS Where do I post this topic and is it alright to do so?

Rico
"And than in the trees I heard a twig snap ... warning lights flashed on my map ... I opened my eyes and to my surprise ..."
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin
Type of spotter: F2
Subscriber Scramble: U bet

Post by Key »

Hi Rico, I think this is the place. Topic title adapted to content of your message.

As for that message: I agree with you by preference, and there will be no restrictions from admins concerning this. People want to show their best shots, and more often than not choose similar ones. On that part we can conclude the taste of many is quite uniform.

Erik
Engines Turning Or People Swimming
JeffreyM
Scramble Rookie
Scramble Rookie

Re: Photos: more of the same?

Post by JeffreyM »

Rico wrote: Following comment is for the realy big topics like RIAT and LEEUWARDEN:
Yes, you'll see that in topics wich have a subject to airshow, or specific air movements.

Now tell me, how many times do you see '' so many people '' post several pictures of the same aircraft on the same place on the same time, so on..?

Not that much right

:wink:
nilsko
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Subscriber Scramble: No

Post by nilsko »

Rico,

I don't think moderators shoudl moderate pictures in itself. First of all, everyone whould be given the oppurtunity to post whatever pix they like Within certain limits, but sure enough pictures which are unsharp, badly lighted or composed will be commented on anyway. Luckily in a positive manner ;-)
Secondly, doing this will increase the burden on the moderators as it is, so that wouldn't be a wise choice.

But the reason why some topics are filled with mostly the same pictures is because most spotters are situated along the same position during an event. Some variations may occur like different positions along the crowdline, but mostly it all boils down to the same perspective. This effect is more apparant when there's a crowded static with only a few possibilities to get a clear shot.. Most RIAT pics I saw (and not only on this forum) where made during the departures or arrival days from the same spot.
Of course, exceptions do occur like Crizz' and Guiness' pix from the Leeuwarden show taken on the other side. One of the benefits of joining an airforce and I am glad they are willing to show their stuff to the world.

But there are still topics of visits (operational or not) from less popular fields which do have many creative stuff to show. It all boils down to the fact that along an airfield there are only limited possibilities for an outsider to visit so the shots are mostly the same. The difference is made by the airframe in question. Is it a special visitor or new colourscheme being flown? etc. etc.
Flyboy
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: F4
Subscriber Scramble: Flyboy

Post by Flyboy »

Rico,

From a content perspective I agree with your comment (or retorical question). Sometimes there are a lot of photo's of the same aircraft, from the same spot, etc.

From a bit higher abstraction level, the same pictures from different spotters also give us an opportunity to compare out pictures. If we would only see the pictures of those who make the best photo's (we all know who these are), it would be as if only those quality of pictures would be worthwile of showing. It is sometimes refreshing to see:
1) the approach others take,
2) the comforting thoughts that our own photo can improve or are better than those shown.

I like the variety of the quality of pictures, and sometimes also think: whoa, he has an entire grow path in front of him. or whoa, he has invested a lot in him pictures (beyond my own limitations).
Bottom line is that we enjoy our hobby, everyone in his/her own pace and investment in time/money, and that we encourage each other with tips, tricks, etc.
I would not like to see pictures removed (though 50 in a single post is a lot).

regards,
Marc
marcel32us
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Type of spotter: Alles wat vliegt, als er maar een motor aan zit.
Subscriber Scramble: marcel32us

Post by marcel32us »

I agree wholeheartedly.

I find these posts of the same aircraft as posted before, but in a lower quality, very annoying.

If there's already a post on an event I have attended, I like to check first if I can add anything new to that topic. That can be a picture of a particular aircraft that's not already in the thread, a picture of an aircraft under a different angle, or a better picture all together.

An exception, annoyment-wise, can be made for explicit requests for advice to make it better the next time, but you don't need to post 20 pictures to prove that you really can't produce anything sharp or exposed correctly.

Does that mean that only the really good photographers can post? Certainly not! There's always a few aircraft left that "they" haven't posted yet. If you really don't have anything new to add, but still you need your name displayed on a forum, at least limit yourself to the one or two least unsharp ones ;-)

And of course you can always go to an event where nobody else goes, so all the scoops are yours to post, like here (a completely conspicious attempt to advertise my pics of Tannkosh, where nobody else was ;-) )

Marcel
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin
Subscriber Scramble: U bet

Post by Key »

It seems to me we do not want to move to a situation where (s)he who is first to post, has the best rights, so to say. That is one of the reasons why there will be no moderator interference or rules for this matter, as far as I am concerned.

On the other hand, as a photog, I always prefer to present a specific selection of images and do take into account what others have posted (or are likely to post after me). That brings me to what I think makes adding photos interesting for others: bringing something new, not just more of the same. That does not necessarily mean different subjects or events, btw.

Obviously, this is just a matter of taste. As a moderator, I will not force my preference onto others. As a viewer, I do use it to filter what I look at (which is something everybody can do).

Erik
Engines Turning Or People Swimming
Rico
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior

Post by Rico »

Thanx Key for placing topic in the right spot.
I agree with your last message.
Let's hope people will look through the whole topic and place some additions to a photoforum in stead of more of the same.
We must keep our creativity high and be sure to maintain the forums interesting.

thanks for the reactions.

Happy hunting everyone.
"And than in the trees I heard a twig snap ... warning lights flashed on my map ... I opened my eyes and to my surprise ..."
Flygvapnet_Viggen
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Type of spotter: F5 - Bad Weather & Atmosphere!

Post by Flygvapnet_Viggen »

Certainly we need to keep our creativity high and one has to learn from his/her pics, but I dont think postings should limit to photos that "havent been shown before" so to speak...
I myself think its sometimes a bit overloaded with 'more of the same', however what I think is more annoying is that people cannot make a nice selection out of their photos; one posts 30-50 photos of the same event at the same day!! (Selecting has become increasingly more difficult with the digital cameras but still). Another posts a lot of (unintentionally) unsharp pics or just a bunch of crappy ones to show he/she made some pics aswell.
If there were just something like the best 10 shots of everyone person that wants to post, IMHO, the topics would be much nicer to view even if there are 'more of the same'. Might this be a kind of restriction to be implemented...?
http://WWW.FVPHOTO.NL/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --- Check out my photos of this spotting season on my website!

I'd rather depict atmosphere and the 'heat of the moment' making a catchy photo than to reflect the real situation and real colours showing a boring photo.
Tom Tiger
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Type of spotter: F5
Subscriber Scramble: tom tiger

Post by Tom Tiger »

I agree, 30 to 50 shots is HIGHLY annoying, I usually click away then...
Or the same plane in 10 shots.... (yes really, same serial... just seconds apart....)

A limit of 10 is more than enough.... IMHO
" You Live by the Code, You Die by the Code. "

All my Photos on Flickr
Iwan Bogels
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Subscriber Scramble: Iwan Bogels

Post by Iwan Bogels »

I agree with Tom !

Ten photos should be more than enough for almost any event, especially when this event has been visited by dozens and dozens of spotters.

Next to that I feel that 10 photos of a similar aircraft in the same position is annoying. For instance 10 "straight from the side" shots from each individual Red Arrows Hawk taxiing by.

The least you can do is to try to impress fellow photographers at this forum. If you are unable to impress, just try to improve. After all there is lots that you can learn here....

Cheers,
Iwan
Rico
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior

Post by Rico »

10 pics sounds enough to show a nice deal of your effort.
Again this may only be of use with large topics and/or events.

BTW waht's IMHO??
Iwan Bogels
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Subscriber Scramble: Iwan Bogels

Post by Iwan Bogels »

Rico wrote:BTW waht's IMHO??
In My Humble Opinion
Redskin
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: a serial is just paint to brighten up an aircraft
Subscriber Scramble: Digitaal

Post by Redskin »

I do believe a max of around 10 pictures is enough per post (and only one post with photo's per topic).
However I don't mind that more of the same aircraft are shown by different photographers. It sometines gives me some new ispirations on how to take a picture.
John

Return to “Photography”