Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi 27 - 31 December 08

ImageDedicated forum to share your own recent photos with the rest of the community.
Please note large files may exist here before you start browsing!

Forum rules
ImageThis is the forum to share your recent aviation photos with the rest of the community, being photos not older than six months at the moment of topic opening. Theme-based topics, not about recent events, should go into the sub-forum.
Although we will not screen beforehand, we reserve the right to delete any images, especially if clearly unsharp or otherwise low in quality. For more information on how to upload you images, check this post.
In topic titles, please use airfield names in stead of just codes, and be clear about what kind of photos your viewers can expect (e.g. CIV/MIL, location etc.).

Finally, bring any photo criticism understandable and to the point, not cynical or offensive! Simultaneously, do not feel offended by criticism per se, but simply explain your motives, taste et cetera, or ignore if you wish so.
MikeRomeo
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior
Subscriber Scramble: MikeRomeo

Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi 27 - 31 December 08

Post by MikeRomeo »

Hi,

At the end of last year I went to Bangkok for spotting and vacations. I've arrived on the night of 26th from IST and departed back Ataturk airport on the 2nd of January.
I did spotting from every day from the 27th until the 31th. On the 1st of January I was too tired to go spotting after partying all night, and on the 2nd I've returned to IST. During this time of the year the winds are from the north, so you will have runways 19's in use: 19R for arrivals and 19L for departures, altough same interesting stuff landes on 19L. It was hard to find a good spot in the morning, and I only did it on the last day (it was so easy to get there, that I don't know how I didn't think about it before). Basically there are two fences, and there is a rood that goes all around the airport between those 2 fences. You are only outside the airport area when you clear the 2nd fence, and taking photos between the fences is forbiden. So basically for the morning spot all you have to do, is walking next to that 2nd fence and you will find a great place to stay, altough there are no shadows. A photo with my 3 megapixles camera:

In the afternoon you just move to the other side of the road and stay on the sidewalk. There are enough trees to give you a nice shadow (it really is hot there):

How to get there? Well, I allways used the taxi, for being easy to find one, wherever you are, and also for being so cheap. Tell the driver to go the International airport (that's probably one of the few thing they understand). Go to the departures level, and pass this are, you will now be leaving this area through the "Airtport Exit" exit. It will be a left turn. After this you will came to a main road heading west. You need to go east, so a couple of meters ahead there's a U turn. Do it. You will pass same builings until you find the "Transaportation Center on you left side. There you need to make a right turn to head south. You will be travelling southbound for a couple of km (at this point you are still inside the airport zone, between the 2 fences. You will see great location for spotting, but remember, you will be sent away by police. That's for sure. So, let's continue down the road, which at the end will start making a turn by the righ. You will see a bridge, but you won't go up. Just before it, exit to the left. You will pass under the bridge, and you will exit the 2nd fence. To your left is the morning spot. You have to walk to that place, just a few meters away. And on the other side of the road you will find the afternoon spot. Travel to this area, both in and out, by taxi, it will be about 400bath one way (about 8€ I think)

The weather was nice altough many clouds passing by made me missing same photos (plus the most interesting stuff usually landed on 19L). I usually would take a photo with 400mm just to get the registration, which worked just fine.

Well, now time for same photos:

I will be uploading more photos in the future, meanwhile if you have any questions about the spots, I will be happy to help. You can check the log on the correct topic.

Have an excellent weekend :D
Rui Miguel - oblogdoruimiguel.blogspot.com
Boudewijn van Oirschot
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: Wat niet?
Subscriber Scramble: Boudewijn van Oirschot

Re: Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi 27 - 31 December 08

Post by Boudewijn van Oirschot »

Thank you for sharing your pictures and information ! I like them 8)
In my opinion Bangkok is an airport with so much exotic traffic. I have been to Don Muang and I enjoyed my stop over from 5 hours. Bangkok also might be one of the greatest airports in Asia, but I don't know anything about other Asian airports execpt Chiang Mai, Samui, Bali and Singapore :roll:
MikeRomeo
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior

Post by MikeRomeo »

Hello everyone!

More photos of sunny BKK

a 01L departure:

Another highlight "Made in Thailand"

How I love these colours on a B777-200:smile:

"Amazing Thailand"

How about this beauty!

And with this B737-800 (a rare sight in BKK) I wish you all a great weekend!!

Cheers.
SilverWingPix
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Post by SilverWingPix »

Excellent report and excellent set of images.
Made a BKK visit before the moved here from Don Muang and have been wondering how spotting was there now. Thanx 4 sharing.

Egon/CPH
Best Regards,
Egon aka SilverWingPix
MikeRomeo
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior

Post by MikeRomeo »

Last set of photos from BKK:

Too bad I didn't get much variety to photograph, as most of the International stuff would land on 01L. Bkk is a fantastic Asian airport. There's a lot to be seen there :smile:
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin
Type of spotter: F2
Subscriber Scramble: U bet

Post by Key »

Thx for the great explanation on how to make those clean shots!

Erik
Engines Turning Or People Swimming
Tony Haynes

Post by Tony Haynes »

Hi MikeRomeo.

Lovelly photos taken in Bangkok. I was there at the same time as yourself. You were the guy who hired the taxi for the day werent you.
Security was very tight between the fences, i remember getting pounced on by about 6 security cars and then driven away in one of them back to where i was staying. Once you were outside the second fence, no problems.
Anyway lovelly photos of your stay in Thailand.

Return to “Aviation Photo Forum”