Need advice 2 improve my pictures

ImageDedicated forum to share your own recent photos with the rest of the community.
Please note large files may exist here before you start browsing!

Forum rules
ImageThis is the forum to share your recent aviation photos with the rest of the community, being photos not older than six months at the moment of topic opening. Theme-based topics, not about recent events, should go into the sub-forum.
Although we will not screen beforehand, we reserve the right to delete any images, especially if clearly unsharp or otherwise low in quality. For more information on how to upload you images, check this post.
In topic titles, please use airfield names in stead of just codes, and be clear about what kind of photos your viewers can expect (e.g. CIV/MIL, location etc.).

Finally, bring any photo criticism understandable and to the point, not cynical or offensive! Simultaneously, do not feel offended by criticism per se, but simply explain your motives, taste et cetera, or ignore if you wish so.
Bendavid2
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Need advice 2 improve my pictures

Post by Bendavid2 »

Dear Concullega's,

I am not for so long part of this forum. So most of you don't know me or remember me. I hope that change in the near future, the reason why you should remember me is my pictures.

Only one slight problem I need your help. When I post pictures here in the photoarea most of the respons are positive. But that won't help me to improve my pictures. I want that people are critic about the pictures. So please give comments and maybe also how I can occur the problem next time.

So let's try and post here your respons here (of PM me als je liever in het Nederlands reageerd).

Thank you in advance.
See you around
My pictures at flickr
My pictures at Airliners.net
Flyboy
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: F4
Subscriber Scramble: Flyboy

Re: Need advice 2 improve my pictures

Post by Flyboy »

Hi there,

The pictures look fine to me.According to the EXIF-info you have an EOS 450SD with a 70-300mm. Is that correct? The pictures are sharp, you might want to try to have your diaphragm fixed to F8 and play with the ISO to get the right shuttertime (in sec.faster than 1/focallength in mm. )

Next, you might want to play with the dark underside of the fuselage in shadows/highlight and/or the curve. But that is up to personal taste.

You seem to enjoy to zoom in to clip the wings, this seems to be fancy nowadays. Personally its not my cup of thee.

Most important is to enjoy yourself and have fun. See ja...
Andras
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: Photo only

Post by Andras »

Hi there,

Some are not so sharp (Delta and NWA), Some a bit overexposed, but most have a problem with white balance. Try to correct that and pick out the really sharp ones, (like DHL and KLM closeups) and work a bit with your compositions. So, not really big problems :wink: ..

Hope you can make some of this!

Greetz,
Groet,

Andras Brandligt
My images at AirTeamImages.com
SilverWingPix
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Post by SilverWingPix »

Overall good images and high quality.

1. Dustspot above the hump.
2 & 3. Crop to tight for my taste especially cutting of the rear fuselage section.
4. Tricky shot due to the scheme - borderline overexposed on the top and very dark on the belly.
5. Nice close up
6. The composition could have been better with less sky more tunnel. My eyes are drawn to the tunnel, but I am left dissapointed not being able so see more of it. Instead I get boring blue sky.
7. Dust spot above 2RH door. I like the crop though.
8. Oversharpened a little creating jaggies. especially visible on the tail logo.
9. Lovely shot.

I dont see the white-balance issues someone mentiones.

Hope its usefull. Nice that you ask for constructive critism. I wish more people would give me usefull feed back (rather than the typical "nice photos"-comment.

Egon/CPH
Best Regards,
Egon aka SilverWingPix
sfeyenoord1
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: An enjoying one

Post by sfeyenoord1 »

Got to be honest that i do like your shots, and are way sharper then mine are.
What i did noticed is that the shots itself are cropped, like allot of us do. If you want to make it more challenging and really want to improve as a photographer instead of a photoshopper, zoom in a little more, so you do not have to crop anymore.
Bendavid2
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Post by Bendavid2 »

Hi All,

I think all the help I get by replies and PM's did help.
The reason is: I have my first picture at A.net
Here is the link. http://www.airliners.net/photo/SunExpre ... 1509719/L/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I hope you don't mind if I post here in the future also same pictures where I need some critisme.

I am so excited.

Kind regards,
David
My pictures at flickr
Frankwin
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior
Type of spotter: [Military and Civil]
Subscriber Scramble: Yes

Post by Frankwin »

Dear David,

Your shots are indeed nice and sharp however you need to clean your image sensor. You can see the round spots on your photo's. It is most clear on the NWA one.
Frankwin
www.frankwin.com
Nikon D4, 70-200, 400 f/2.8, 300 f/2.8
Andras
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Post by Andras »

Clap Clap..Very nice! It is a nice one, and sharp!.. Good luck for the future..
Groet,

Andras Brandligt
Bendavid2
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Post by Bendavid2 »

I have a sample shots again. All from the 25th of april. Also the promised picture of the 773 (in ph-local request topic)

I think over average the pictures are improved. But I think it could be better but how?

I think all the pictures are sharp! Almost no crop or little crop. Some times maybe a little colour noise. 90% of the EXIF 1/500 f/8.0 ISO100

I think black is not black. If I open the pictures in CS4 black is black!(Put the levels good).

Same problem;) + the blue of the plane is to much light blue. How can I correct that?

The plane is sharp but the wheels aren't. I am the only one who see this? Must I increase my f?

More people make this kind of pictures but I don't know how I shop this kind of pictures. I did some levels, contrast, and sharp.

The windows are little grey. Levels are oke I think.

The wheels are not black but the cockpit is black. Picture is much better in CS4 than here. This is my favorite angle to see plane landing and to get airborned.

Favorite plane, favorite angle, but (het is het niet) I see better pictures of this plane with this angle.

I think this is a good picture maybe you see something!

I also want to try one of the above pictures for A.net maybe you can give me advice which one make the best chance (after some more adjusting).

Really really thank you in advance.
My pictures at flickr
Hans Rolink
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: F4.5
Subscriber Scramble: Hans Rolink

Post by Hans Rolink »

Can't see much wrong with the blue in the KLM bird of which you wrote that it is too light. On a number of occasions you make the remark that the plane looks better in Photoshop than on the web. What colourspace did you use for the uploaded images? It should be sRGB instead of the wider Adobe1998 RGB for best results.
The one thing that keeps coming back (and especially the people at Anet really hate that) is oversharpening. You can tell by the bright borders around dark objects like wheels against a blue sky.
Try to reduce the "pixel" value in Photoshop's Unsharp Mask as far as possible . I use a figure of 2 or three at most. The % value can be around 100. You will need to try some settings for the best result.

HTH
Hans.
Andras
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Post by Andras »

Hi there,

1. Looks pretty good, try finding the black balance (same as white balance but you use pure black) or check your colorbalance in Photoshop just like Hans said. (CTRL + L and then use the pipets)

2. Blue is ok, if you want you can crank op a notch of saturation.. But be carefull, it's a picture killer..

3. Check the white line on the tarmac. It's garbled as well. Heat-haze. No probs!

4. Initial pic is not sharp at all.. So don't bother. If you use USM then it just gets more worse. USM is the worst sharpening tool there is. BOE!

5. Looks good to me.

6. Pic is not really sharp, wheels look good to me. Whitebalance check?

7. Weather?

8. Well, it counts that you think it's a good picture, I think so too.

Are you using a UV filter? Take that off if you do.

Greetings,
Groet,

Andras Brandligt

Return to “Aviation Photo Forum”