Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport BKK May 2024

ImageDedicated forum to share your own recent photos with the rest of the community.
Please note large files may exist here before you start browsing!

Forum rules
ImageThis is the forum to share your recent aviation photos with the rest of the community, being photos not older than six months at the moment of topic opening. Theme-based topics, not about recent events, should go into the sub-forum.
Although we will not screen beforehand, we reserve the right to delete any images, especially if clearly unsharp or otherwise low in quality. For more information on how to upload you images, check this post.
In topic titles, please use airfield names in stead of just codes, and be clear about what kind of photos your viewers can expect (e.g. CIV/MIL, location etc.).

Finally, bring any photo criticism understandable and to the point, not cynical or offensive! Simultaneously, do not feel offended by criticism per se, but simply explain your motives, taste et cetera, or ignore if you wish so.
VH3D
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Subscriber Scramble: Rafal

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport BKK May 2024

Post by VH3D »

Hi

Before ending vacations in Thailand it's customary to spend at least day or two spotting at BKK airport :)
My 'to go' hotel for spotting for the past few years is Miracle Suvarnabhumi Hotel. Decent hotel, about $50 a night and the most important thing is that it doesn't matter which runway they use, you will always get either departures or arrivals.
On day one, we've checked in around 2pm and I went straight to the rooftop pool area. Nobody was there for most of the time as the temperatures were around +46C / 115F It was definitely the hottest ever for me in Thailand. One reg spotter from England popped in and kept me company for about 30 minutes, then he went back to his room and did his 'reading' from the window and with help of SBS box.
The heat haze was a problem only for ground shots, and also only till about 4pm. After that the ground shots were also clear.
I was using my 70-300mm lens. I would recommend something bigger if you are after ATRs or C208s.
Between 2pm and 6pm I've shot around 70+ departures, skipping most Thai Airways, Bangkok Air, Thai VietJet or AirAsia birds.

Bangkok BKK May 3 2024

Entire set with all photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjBs4Vt

Spotting location at the Miracle hotel

More to come.
LifelinerOne
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Type of spotter: Photography
Subscriber Scramble: Anton Homma

Re: Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport BKK May 2024

Post by LifelinerOne »

Very nice again and thanks for the explanation of the location you've spotted from.

Looking forward to the rest.

Cheers! :wave:
TommyW
Scramble Rookie
Scramble Rookie

Post by TommyW »

Jealousy crawls towards me, such a nice set.
Thank You for posting
Regards
Tommy
VH3D
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by VH3D »

Thanks Guys.

On the second day I took taxi from the hotel to the nearby aviation school. Since my last visit to BKK year earlier the school have either open or acquired the instructional airframes. Quick 15 minutes taxi ride and I was at the gate. There is a security guard, you have to tell him that you are there to take pictures of the aircraft in the parking lot and not planning on going inside of the school building. There was absolutely no problem with getting permission to go inside of the campus to take pictures. You should translate the explanation to Thai and have it handy on your phone as the guards don't speak a word of English. And when you go there in taxi, ask the driver to wait for you as this place is kind of in the middle of nowhere. About 2km walk to the nearest main road where you can catch Grab or taxi.
Address: Bangkok KMITL International Academy of Aviation Industry
1 Thanon Chalong Krung, Lam Prathew, Lat Krabang, Bangkok 10520, Thailand

Royal Thai Police Short 330 was the gem I was after.

That was first in my collection. Malaysian registered Cessna 172 :)

Also, when you are in the area, you can go to the Cafe 747 on Lat Krabang and get some shots of ex Orient Thai / United Airlines B744

(Shot from my year ago visit)
VH3D
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by VH3D »

My second and last afternoon at BKK started around 2pm. Sky was hazy comparing to the previous day but it got better with the day.

BKK May 4 2024

Entire set: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjBsHgs

Return to “Aviation Photo Forum”