Airliners.net: new terms - read them an weep

ImageImageDedicated forum for all your questions, remarks etc about (aviation) photography, digital as well as old fashioned film.

Forum rules
ImageImage
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin
Type of spotter: F2
Subscriber Scramble: U bet

Airliners.net: new terms - read them an weep

Post by Key »

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news - again. For those of you with photos on A.net, better read this.
Several reactions are here and here.

If these terms of Use are indeed effectuated, I will remove my photos from A.net. The reason: otherwise Demand Media gets a complete waiver on copyright, the right to do anything with the contributor's work they want. Anything, anytime, without credit to you - let alone royalties, forever. A.net's new owner DM clearly has no idea what the site is about, they must be blinded by their pursuit of profit.

:cry:
Erik
Iwan Bogels
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Subscriber Scramble: Iwan Bogels

Post by Iwan Bogels »

Looks like the beginning of the end for Airliners.net to me. I do know of some people who will advise people to move to http://www.airfighters.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ASAP.

:-)

Boy, am I happy not to have tried to enter ANY photo at Airliners.net....

Pfff,
Iwan
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Key »

Unfortunately, Airfighters only cares for half of my interests.

What this means for A.net I would like to know. Initially, I also concluded this was the end. But, what percentage of the photogs with work online will read and understand these rules? Legal English is not easy, and nearly impossible to understand for many a South American of Asian photographer, to name some. If enough people fall in this trap, A.net will continue and its new owners will be making big money from unaware contributor's work.

Mine won't be with it though, unless they radically change this. I am very, very sorry for all those who put so much effort in the site, most of all the army of volunteers to whom DM just won't listen.

Erik
Engines Turning Or People Swimming
cHabu
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Subscriber Scramble: cHabu

Post by cHabu »

I only have 29 pics on the website, but if the TOU don't change, these pics will be deleted from the website.

Would love to hear Johan's view on this.... ;)

Chris.

=> Sync your files online and across computers with Dropbox. (2GB account is free!)

Only when you can share knowledge, can you enjoy knowledge !
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Key »

Well, that would be no surprise. I think he regrets this as much as you and I do. But he had to sell, could really not handle it on his own anymore, and as soon as he did he had no saying in things anymore...

Erik
Delta12
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Type of spotter: F5

Post by Delta12 »

A.net has done it ;) . I will sleep a night about but I think I'll withdraw all my pics.

Demand Media is twisting and turning the rules so they can make an extra profit of it. without compansating to the actual photographer.
hmv
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Post by hmv »

This is the death penalty for airliners.net.
Phantom54
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Post by Phantom54 »

Is it possible to take your pictures offline? I can't find the option at this moment?
Menso van Westrhenen

http://www.milaviapress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
andel
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Subscriber Scramble: andel

Post by andel »

Ive allready deleted my pics from the upload queue.
But whitdrawning them from A.net would be a bit more difficult i guess ?!?.
As i dont know how to do it easy.
But i will sleep also a night about it before i whitdrawn.
Delta12
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by Delta12 »

Im trying to find this out too but I think i've got it here. I just wait one day to hope for some changes. Then Ill pull them off.
Your Right to Terminate the License. For Content consisting of photos, graphics, audio or video (but not, for clarity, any Content solely in the form of text) that you have submitted or made available for inclusion on or through the Service, you may remove or modify such Content from the Service at any time. Your removal of such Content from the Service will terminate our license to such Content. But if prior to such removal or modification, Airliners.net has distributed, or developed specific plans to distribute, any electronic, printed, or other materials containing such Content (e.g., in advertising, promotion or otherwise), then Airliners.net has a limited right to continue to distribute those materials. If you want Airliners.net to stop distributing the materials, simply send us written notice or an email at support@airliners.net requesting us to stop distributing such materials, in which event we will stop distributing the materials within 14 days. Your notice must be signed by you, include your telephone number and email address, and be sent by first class mail, postage prepaid, to Airliners.net legal department, 15801 NE 24th Street, Bellevue, WA 98008, Attn: Copyright Agent. In addition, the notice must clearly identify the Content at issue, describe the specific use of the Content you wish to end, and contain statements that you own or have an exclusive right to the Content and that all the information in the notice is true and correct. The 30 day period for Airliners.net to stop distributing your Content begins only once Airliners.net has received a notice complying with the requirements of this Section 5(C).
airlinepilote
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior

Post by airlinepilote »

I have contacted them via:

http://www.airliners.net/comments/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and asked them to remove my shots. As easy as it is, and if they do not remove them, they have big problems.. :)
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Key »

Delta12, what you quote there are the new procedures, not (all) in effect yet. Nevertheless, the email is what you will need to do.
Be advised that no reaction is to be expected from DM before Monday (Pacific Time), so if you want to give them time to change matters, you have to wait at least till then. Their representative Paolo posted one message indicating the present ToU should not be what we see. Time will tell if statement will have a follow-up in the form of radical changes to the presented terms.

Erik
evhest
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Post by evhest »

I withdrew my pics form Airliners.net some time ago because I could see this coming from miles away. It took 2 or 3 e-mail exchanges, but they pulled the pics eventually.
Answers will be questioned.....
Delta12
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by Delta12 »

Key wrote:
Erik

Yes, Im aware of this. But I dont want to be too late with 'pulling my feet out of the mud' Because just wont tolerate this in my eyes this its just abuse of photographers goodwill. I dont think demand media will change anything because there are 1,264,693 photos on that website even if half of it is gone they still have thousends of pics they are able to sell.

The only thing I regret is that I put such a mild watermark on this photo.
It should be right in the middle thick and fat.

[edit: links to your photos in Your Website plz]

:cry:
RogierV
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by RogierV »

I just sent my mail with my request to remove my images. It's a pity, but apparently this is the way it goes with Demand Media...

Return to “Photography”