Very nice pics?

ImageImageDedicated forum for all your questions, remarks etc about (aviation) photography, digital as well as old fashioned film.

Forum rules
ImageImage
marcel32us
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Type of spotter: Alles wat vliegt, als er maar een motor aan zit.
Subscriber Scramble: marcel32us

Why?

Post by marcel32us »

jimmy van drunen wrote:very nice pics, i love the pics of gilze-rijen all of them :lol:

gr.jimmy
Why can't people stop the urge to stick feathers up everybody's a$$'s on this forum, while everybody can clearly see that those are not nice pics??

They are too dark and mostly not too sharp as well. They do give an impression of the events and the weather, so still kudo's for posting, but to say these are nice pics is complete BS.

Compliments loose their value if there's too many of them, for no good reason.

Marcel
heatseaker
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior

Post by heatseaker »

My suggestion would be to send the photographer a PM instead of posting just a compliment each time.

@ marcel32us

I think jimmy just loves to post no matter what! :roll:
wedelman
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by wedelman »

Why can't people stop the urge to stick feathers up everybody's a$$'s on this forum, while everybody can clearly see that those are not nice pics??

They are too dark and mostly not too sharp as well. They do give an impression of the events and the weather, so still kudo's for posting, but to say these are nice pics is complete BS.

Marcel
Because not all people on this forum have lots of free times to practise their skills. Maybe the photographer had an afternoon off, took the camera and shot these pictures! It is not about the quality of the pictures, but about what they show us. I don't have time to go and shoot some (poor quality) pictures. And I am very happy to see that someone has got the time, and shares them with us!

Therefor I want to thank key for his reaction. You (but myself too) can learn something from people like him.
skinnystyle
Scramble Newbie
Scramble Newbie

Re: Why?

Post by skinnystyle »

marcel32us wrote:
jimmy van drunen wrote:very nice pics, i love the pics of gilze-rijen all of them :lol:

gr.jimmy

Marcel

And for other people does photoshop do the job to get the briliant picture but without it its ==censored==
marcel32us
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by marcel32us »

wedelman wrote:Because not all people on this forum have lots of free times to practise their skills. Maybe the photographer had an afternoon off, took the camera and shot these pictures! It is not about the quality of the pictures, but about what they show us. I don't have time to go and shoot some (poor quality) pictures. And I am very happy to see that someone has got the time, and shares them with us!

Therefor I want to thank key for his reaction. You (but myself too) can learn something from people like him.
Maybe you should try to read my posts more carefully before reacting to it. I was not referring to Key who posted tips on how to improve, and not even to the photographer who showed us his pics, that were of a quality I personally wouldn't have posted, but that's his choice. I was clearly referring to the people posting compliments about the "nice pics" that weren't that nice at all, appearantly just to boost ther status by having a lot of posts on their name.

But we're floating off topic, so I'll let it rest from here. I just hope my comments were read and received by the people they were directed to.

Marcel
jimmy van drunen
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: Photographer

Post by jimmy van drunen »

:twisted: i love them very much :roll: :lol: and the are dark but what ever? :? :lol:
wedelman
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by wedelman »

Marcel,

I tried to make clear that I allso like the pics. I did it on a different manner than Jimmy, but I do agree with him.
As I said before: It is not about the quality, but about what they show us. This is exactly what Jimmy means.

I do not think you're wrong, but we are talking about two different things here. One is from a photgraphers point of view (you?) and the other from an aviation enthousiastic (me and Jimmy).

I hope that we have an understanding now.

Wouter
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin
Type of spotter: F2
Subscriber Scramble: U bet

Post by Key »

Marcel, Jimmy just beat me to what I was going to say. It is the essence of the matter: he likes them - and there's no arguing about taste...
Having said that, I absolutely agree with what I think you mean. You're coming down on it a bit harsh though. I chose to give some hints on how to improve on what I felt was not like it should be.

The criteria used in judging photos here are generally technical quality (1), subject (2), composition (3). For me, the order is 1-3-2. For Jimmy it's probably 2-3-1 and for you maybe 1-2-3. In other words, nearly any kind of aviation pic is able to attract kudos from someone here - even those that you and I may think are a failure. :wink:
Those compliments do belong in the photo topics in my opinion, because the forum is about sharing and sharing means feedback. Of course, we could have more clarity if commenters would say a little more than just 'very nice pics'..!

Erik

Edit: and Wedelman too was faster than me!
Engines Turning Or People Swimming
marcel32us
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by marcel32us »

Since we moved to another forum, we're on topic again, so I'll react again, for the sake of the discussion.

@Key
I'm more of a spotter then a photographer, but I do like to see nice pics (and I mean nice pics!!! :P ).

As to your criteria (to which I agree, my order would be 2,1,3):
Quality: Poor
Composition: nothing special (in this case, there have been occasions where composition sucked, and Jimmy still found them "Nice pics").
Subject: Dutch choppers at Gilze, can you think of anything less interesting? The Germans may be a little less standard for Gilze, but still not interesting at all.

Still, I sent kudo's to the photographer in my initial post, for letting us see what could be seen at Gilze on that particular day. The reaction of Jimmy van Drunen, who seems to have "Nice pics" on his clipboard for a standard reaction to any picture no matter of what or where, was what annoyed me. And if that was a little harsch, well that's just the way I like it :wink:

@Wedelman
As stated, I don't mind people showing their pics, even if they are of questionable quality. IMHO it's just pointless to react to every single pic posted on the forum with a "Nice pics". Those reactions don't have any meaning whatsoever, and that is what I reacted to.
I just think that if people post KLM 737's at Schiphol, it better be a damn good pictures quality-wise. If someone comes across Taipei I don't care about quality, I just want to see what was there.

Anyway, it all is a matter of taste and of priorities, so now I'll really let it rest.

Marcel
sfeyenoord1
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: An enjoying one

Post by sfeyenoord1 »

Just depends on taste if you like it or not ;)
Guinness
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by Guinness »

Marcel,

"thanks " for your feedback.

Guinness :wink:
Guinness
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by Guinness »

Again,

you know what Redskin Challenge is about and also their participants.
If they're not interesting enough for you......... DON'T GO THERE!!!!!!!!!!!

i'M "REALY SORRY" ABOUT THE QUALITY BUT THE WEATHER WAS $@#$%^**&*^%$!!#$ =censored=.

If you don't like the pics I realy hoped that YOU'd be there to improve me.

And for Jimmy,

be =censored= there Marcel, he's only young and pretty over-enthousiastic !

In "our"time we didn't have internet / e-groups to share pics

You know what EHGR is all about now ....
Please if you see a "photopost " on it.... STAY OUT OR AT LEAST DON'T REACT !!!!

@ Key and all others.... thanks

Guinness / Karel :evil:
Key
Site Admin
Site Admin
Type of spotter: F2
Subscriber Scramble: U bet

Post by Key »

Karel, no need to get angry anymore I think. Marcel did his best to explain his point, we're all entitled to an opinion. Like I said before, you post the pics and will have feedback. Not all of it is going to be what you hoped, and even (...) Marcel liked certain aspects of them!

Let's keep it cool guys.
Erik
Engines Turning Or People Swimming
Guinness
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by Guinness »

Sorry there Key,

you might be right and @ Marcel.... my appologize if I offended you.

karel
herky
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Type of spotter: photographer/reader

Post by herky »

I have followed this interesting discussion and I agree with Marcel.

With Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro there is more to create as final result.
I know it's not easy but these days a digital shot is just the beginning of a nice photographic result.
Begin with borrowing some books in the library like I did and take some time and patience to learn it step by step. Good luck!

Return to “Photography”