van Vliet Trucks Nimrod

ImageDedicated forum to share your own recent photos with the rest of the community.
Please note large files may exist here before you start browsing!

Forum rules
ImageThis is the forum to share your recent aviation photos with the rest of the community, being photos not older than six months at the moment of topic opening. Theme-based topics, not about recent events, should go into the sub-forum.
Although we will not screen beforehand, we reserve the right to delete any images, especially if clearly unsharp or otherwise low in quality. For more information on how to upload you images, check this post.
In topic titles, please use airfield names in stead of just codes, and be clear about what kind of photos your viewers can expect (e.g. CIV/MIL, location etc.).

Finally, bring any photo criticism understandable and to the point, not cynical or offensive! Simultaneously, do not feel offended by criticism per se, but simply explain your motives, taste et cetera, or ignore if you wish so.
Janos
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

van Vliet Trucks Nimrod

Post by Janos »

Today my son Arjen and me visited Van Vliet Trucks in Nieuwerkerk a/d IJssel, to photograph their new trailer.
We met a very friendly person from the company who gave us all the information he knows about it and even opened the door of the trailer for us and let us photograph the whole thing.
The trailer is made of a part of a RAF Nimrod MR2 and is used as a simulator. The whole nose can be removed and then the trailer can be transported by a big truck.
We made about 120 photo's, so if you wanna see (or have) some more,
send me an E-mail.
Next a short selection of them.

By the way, the ,,pilot,, is my son Arjen.

Wrecks
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by Wrecks »

The aircraft is the civil Comet 1 G-ALYW converted to a Nimrod trainer. It used to carry fake serial "XV238" at one time.

Regards,

Otger
Janos
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

Post by Janos »

If so, they did a very good job to make it. It looks very much like a real Nimrod.
When I look at the wooden spare parts box I should say, it could be a real Nimrod from the RAF Hendon base.
But I think you have a better information about it, so I believe you are right. I will try to find out more of the thing.

By the way, the man from van Vliet told me that they are trying to get a very special plane for placing at their ,,hill,,.
I know something more about it but I don't know if I'm aloud to tell it.
XV148

Nimrod Comet G-ALYW

Post by XV148 »

Hi, the aircraft is in fact the oldest surviving jet airliner in the world. It was a Comet 1 GALYW of BOAC and served the first jest passengers in 1953 and 1954 before being withdrawn from servive after the Comet accidents. This is a piece of glabal aviation history!!
Regards
Martin
Wijgert IJlst
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: F2
Subscriber Scramble: Wijgert IJlst

Post by Wijgert IJlst »

Drove past Van Vliet truck along the A20 today, noted that the Comet (Nimrod like) cockpit section has been taken from its trailers and sits now preserved outside the company.
The "grey" military look-a-like colors have been painted over with a white c/s and wears a blue cheatline with the titles "Air Cargo" just behind the cockpitwindow.
Kind Regards / Groeten,

Wijgert IJlst
Wijgert IJlst
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Post by Wijgert IJlst »

Drove past on the A20 on the 6th November, the cockpit section was gone apparently.
As a weird coincidence I drove past Aviodrome, Lelystad, today and noted this cockpit section standing outside next to the Constellation and other stuff outside. This Comet (disguised as Nimrod) cockpit wears the same (new) "civil" colors, it's white with a blue cheatline and the title's "Air Cargo" applied.
Kind Regards / Groeten,

Wijgert IJlst
phkza
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: Civil > Pics or it didn't happen!

Post by phkza »

Didn't they also use to have a MiG standing outside at some time?

Indeed very kind people at Van Vliet. When I was younger I used to be into cars (what was I thinking? ;)) and they let me and my grandfather into their basement, which holds classic cars like a Mercedes Gulwing and some other very nice sportscars.
Wijgert IJlst
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Post by Wijgert IJlst »

Yeap, two actualy. And some time later a former Polish AF An-2. The Comet was the last plane to be present... makes you wonder what will appear next huh?! ;)
Kind Regards / Groeten,

Wijgert IJlst
Mad Viper
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Subscriber Scramble: Mad Viper

Post by Mad Viper »

Wijgert IJlst wrote:Drove past on the A20 on the 6th November, the cockpit section was gone apparently.
As a weird coincidence I drove past Aviodrome, Lelystad, today and noted this cockpit section standing outside next to the Constellation and other stuff outside.
Was there for the FSWeekend last weekend.
Cheers, Michel
Giel
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Post by Giel »

I think that's the one standing at Wings and Wheels in ursel '07
Arthur Bijster
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Post by Arthur Bijster »

Wijgert IJlst wrote:Yeap, two actualy. And some time later a former Polish AF An-2. The Comet was the last plane to be present... makes you wonder what will appear next huh?! ;)
You're talking about this one.

Greetz Arthur
patrick dirksen
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: Mil & ex-mil, zowel nummers als platen!
Subscriber Scramble: patrick dirksen

Post by patrick dirksen »

And they even had FOUR MiG-21's if I'm not mistaken. All gone by now. Indeed; what's next?? :wink:
Cheers,

Patrick Dirksen
Tristar Aviation
aviodromefriend
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: zo snel afgekeurd, ik kreeg geen kans S5 te worden

Post by aviodromefriend »

Mad Viper wrote:
Wijgert IJlst wrote:Drove past on the A20 on the 6th November, the cockpit section was gone apparently.
As a weird coincidence I drove past Aviodrome, Lelystad, today and noted this cockpit section standing outside next to the Constellation and other stuff outside.
Was there for the FSWeekend last weekend.
Heard a rumour today at Aviodrome there should be talks ongoing to buy this thing.
De Zamboni heeft kramp in zijn achterwiel
Jan Maarten Smeets, Heerenveen 31 oktober 2009

Return to “Aviation Photo Forum”